Friday, March 26, 2010

New Releases Update • 3/26/10

Sylvain Sylvain's enjoyed a renaissance of late, ever since his beloved New York Dolls got back together at Morrissey's request. Though Arthur Kane didn't get to stick around, Syl is still rocking'. New York's A Go Go is a double CD released by Easy Action in the UK and covers his solo work from just after the Dolls called it quits back in the '70s to now. I mean, how can you pass on an anthology where the last song is "I Love a Little Pussy"? (Out now)

Public Image Limited was always a bit of a pill for me to swallow, but I've liked the idea of Johnny Rotten. Alife 2009: Live at Brixton Academy 2009 is a 23-track, 2CD live affair recorded last year after the band got back together. There is a third disc to this set, filled with photos of the band and a video interview with John Lydon. I am happy to inform that "Seattle" is not on this release… (Out now; Concert Live Records)

Jazz/blues pianist and propheceer Mose Allison has a brand new record coming out on Anti-. The Way of the World (released March 23) is the man's first recording in twelve years. Producer Joe Henry surrounds Mose with "young, vibrant players" on this CD release. So apparently a young man DOES have something in the world these days! And though Anti- is known for signing artists that break the typical rules of today's mainstream record biz…

I never would have come up with this: Roky Erickson has teamed up with Okkervil River for a new album, True Love Cast Out All Evil, out April 20. Though Erickson is a very interesting cat, I find Okkervil River to be quite boring. Perhaps this would be the album to change my mind? Well, I imagine the good folks at Anti- are hoping so.

No comments:

Post a Comment