Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pretenders • Pretenders [24k+ Gold CD]

Steve Hoffman made his name in the early '90s by mastering great records of our time for DCC Compact Classics, who released these sweet masters on gold compact discs. Not as gimmicky as it sounds, actually, these discs have a presence that your standard CDs don't typically have. Don't know whatever happened with DCC, but these guys at Audio Fidelity are now employing Hoffman and putting out all new "24k+" gold discs that are limited, numbered editions and have a very similar look to the DCCs of yesteryear.

I was talking to a guy at my local emporium who was holding a copy of AF's new The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get by Joe Walsh, and he was gushing about how great it was gonna sound. That sounded good to me so I went to check for another copy and there were none. So I made my usual scan down the aisles (this time I started at Z and worked backward) and lo and behold, the Pretenders first album Pretenders on Audio Fidelity! I checked the price and it was doable, so I doed it. I'm now listening to it and am just about through and I've gotta say, this Hoffman mastered version is even better than the reissue that came out on Rhino a couple of years ago. The snap of the snare and tambourines, the thud/boom of the kick drum, it all sounds right on. "Mystery Achievement" is marvelous, with the drums opening and then the bass coming in, finally the guitars, oh joy! And let's not forget the other 11 songs on this album, because as you know, EVERY SONG ON THIS ALBUM IS A CLASSIC. "Precious," "Tattooed Love Boys," "Brass in Pocket," crikey they're all glorious and stunning. Try one for yourself and see how you like it. Audio Fidelity has a number of titles and I'm anxious to try some more. Like potato chips, you can't have just one...
5/5 (Audio Fidelity AFZ 052, www.audiofidelity.net)

1 comment:

  1. Used to have it.
    Used to Love it.
    Time to try it again.

    ReplyDelete