Thursday, December 10, 2009

Robyn Hitchcock • I Often Dream Of Trains in New York

Twenty-five years after he released the original solo album, I Often Dream Of Trains, Robyn Hitchcock releases a commemorative live version recorded in New York in 2008. This time he's joined by a few extra musicians and a live studio audience. The dreamy, mostly acoustic tunes come in all flavors, from choppy rock ("Sometimes I Wish I Was A Pretty Girl") to wispy autumnal chamber pop ("Autumn Is Your Last Chance") and the a capella "Uncorrected Personality Traits," a song I've always loved and in fact took the title for a fanzine my friend Mark Campos and I put out around 1985. I Often Dream Of Trains in New York is a lovely live album, which also comes with a DVD of the complete concert and is really the reason to get this. It's a lot more compelling to see it performed than it is to just hear it.
4/5 (YepRoc YEP 2216)

No comments:

Post a Comment