Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Neil Young • Neil Young, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, Tonight's The Night, Harvest

I'm not actually reviewing how good these reissues are (or aren't); it's more of a rant.

Neil Young has been busier in his 60s than almost any old rock 'n' roller I can think of. Not only has he put out numerous albums of new material, he's also finally put out the first box set (9 or 10 discs!) of archival material. Now he's gone and reissued these four albums from his back catalog, on super premium 180-gram vinyl, pressed at a real high-falutin plant in Germany, packaged in era-correct covers, and more. On the one hand, I think it's awesome to be able to get these records in brand new pressings, since trying to find used copies in good shape is next to impossible. Harvest? Forget about it. I've never seen a good copy of that. I finally bought that (and the other three reissues discussed here) on CD. But on the other hand, you gotta spend a lotta dough to buy these 4 LPs. What's my point? I'm jealous I can't own 'em all!

Well, here's hoping my wife reads this and buys me, at least, Harvest and Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere for Christmas.
(Because Sound Matters/Reprise Records)

1 comment:

  1. I have finally picked up all four of these separately and great gosh a'mighty they are fine!

    ReplyDelete